Appeals Counsel, P4
UN MICT - United Nations International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals
The Hague, Netherlands
Org. Setting and Reporting
The position is located in The Hague Branch of the Office of the Prosecutor and reports to the Principal Legal Counsel and Senior Appeals Counsel.
Under the guidance of the Principal Legal Counsel or a Senior Appeals Counsel, the incumbent:
- Coordinates the Prosecution’s position in relation to appeals heard before the Appeals Chamber of the MICT. This will involve handling a wide range of multidisciplinary and complex legal matters involving substantive and procedural issues of international and domestic criminal law and to a lesser extent issues related to international humanitarian law (public international law);
- Reviews judgments and orders of Trial Chambers and advises on grounds of appeal. Attends to all stages of the proceedings, coordinating a team of junior lawyers to ensure drafts are prepared in order to comply with filing deadlines and orders of the Appeals Chamber. Undertakes or directs extensive analysis and legal research of legislation and jurisprudence, both from national and international jurisdictions;
- Reviews trial records and prepares or directs the preparation and drafting of appeal briefs, motions, responses, and legal & factual memoranda as necessary;
- Attends court with the Principal Legal Counsel or Senior Appeals Counsel and appears as co-counsel at hearings before the Appeals Chamber;
- Assists the Principal Legal Counsel or Senior Appeals Counsel in the preparation of oral argument and in the presentation of oral submissions before the Appeals Chamber;
- Coordinates teams of other legal officers, investigators and analysts in preparation of appeals briefs, evidence motions, and motions before the Appeals Chamber.
- Professionalism – Experience at international criminal tribunals or experience in handling complex criminal cases from national appeals litigation involving considerable legal drafting (e.g. High Courts, Cour de Cassation, Supreme Court, Court of Appeals, Constitutional Court). Knowledge of both procedural and substantive international criminal law. Experience in applying legal expertise to diverse range of complex legal issues. Excellent legal writing skills and experience drafting legal briefs and opinions under pressure and with short deadlines. Experience editing legal drafts prepared by others. Demonstrates planning and organizational skills and ability to coordinate the work of others. Strong analytical skills and ability to conduct comprehensive legal research on a range of issues. Can balance a number of cases and works in an efficient and directed manner. Presents complex legal submissions and is a skilful oral advocate. Discretion and sound judgement in applying legal expertise to sensitive, complex legal issues. Strong negotiating skills and ability to influence others to reach agreement. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations;
- Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- Planning and Organising – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Leadership – Serves as a role model that other people want to follow; empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing;
- Judgement/Decision-making – Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organisation; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Advanced university degree in law. First-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible legal experience, in the field of criminal law, international criminal law or international humanitarian law. Has courtroom advocacy experience. Prior experience at the ICTY, ICTR, or other international criminal tribunal or court is highly desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the Mechanism. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French is an advantage.