Associate Legal Officer, P2
United Nations - International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals
The Hague, Netherlands
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Office of Legal Aid and Defence (OLAD), Registry, under the supervision of the Head of OLAD.
- Advise and assist the Head of OLAD on legal and operational matters relating to the management of the MICT legal aid system, amicus curiae appointment and remuneration.
- Advise and assist on the drafting, implementation and development of relevant policies, rules and directives relating, in particular, to legal aid and defence funding, and the assignment and conduct of counsel.
- Draft legal submissions to the President and the Trial and Appeals Chambers, Registrar’s decisions, correspondence to defence counsel, internal memoranda and other documents as required by the Head of OLAD.
- Provide legal advice and draft decisions concerning suspects and accused’s eligibility for legal aid.
- Advise on possible misconduct of counsel and draft disciplinary complaints against counsel or other defence team members.
- Monitor and audit defence work reports and invoices.
- Act as focal point for issues related to the Association of Defence Counsel.
- Review and advise on applications for admission to the list of counsel eligible to act before the MICT.
- Perform other tasks as required.
- Professionalism – Knowledge of, and ability to apply, legal principles, concepts and procedures and terminology for review, examination, and processing of a range of legal documents; familiarity with and experience in the use or varied research sources, including electronic sources; analytical skills as demonstrated through research and analysis of a range of legal issues and interpretation and application of international legislative instruments, excellent legal drafting skills and proven ability to draft well under pressure; litigation and negotiation skills desirable; demonstrated ability to apply good legal judgement in the context of assignments given. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Communication – Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Accountability – Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organisational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Advanced university degree in law, preferably with specialization in criminal law or international law. A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- Minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible legal experience in international law, criminal law, humanitarian law, administrative law and/or human rights. Experience in working within an international setting desirable. Prior experience in legal aid administration is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the Tribunal. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is an advantage.