Senior Lawyer, Navigator
Simmons & Simmons LLP
London, United Kingdom
Simmons & Simmons navigator is our sector-leading online subscription service, covering key areas of financial services and tax regulation. It contains an unmatched breadth of content across eight services: funds, share disclosure, derivatives & FX, lending, banking, securities, corporate finance and product tax. Since 2007 we’ve built a reputation as a globally trusted regulatory resource with content spanning 130+ jurisdictions.
The navigator team, within our financial services group (which is responsible for all of the above navigator services save for product tax), is now seeking to recruit a senior lawyer to be responsible for the maintenance, development and subscriber support of both the share disclosure and corporate finance services for a six month period in order to cover a period of Shared Parental Leave (including training and transition time).
This position would report to the navigator Team Manager (or the soon to be recruited navigator: Legal Content Manager) and will have management responsibility for both the share disclosure and corporate finance services and also for junior lawyers and paralegals within the team. At times it may also be necessary for the successful candidate to assist with the updating or sale of other navigator services.
The navigator: share disclosure service focuses on a few key areas relevant to our subscribers’ trading activities namely: long position disclosure, short selling (trading restrictions and disclosure requirements) and foreign investor and industry specific restrictions. The subscriber base is wide including buy-side, sell side and institutional asset management clients.
The navigator: corporate finance service is a rapidly growing service and contains information on licensing issues relating to cross-border corporate finance, M&A and equity capital market transactions.
Legal content updates, subscriber queries
- Responsible for/owns their navigator product(s) and as a result:
- runs quarterly update for their service(s) with the assistance of the team lawyers and paralegals including taking responsibility for timely completion (delegating to junior lawyers in the team where necessary and escalating risk issues to the navigator Team Manager/ navigator Legal Content Manager as appropriate);
- owns UK materials for their services – keeps up to date with legislative change impacting service, updates documents and seeks appropriate input from fee earning team;
- works effectively with other service senior lawyers to ensure cross service issues are picked up consistently and appropriately;
- participates in relevant practice group meetings and feeds back intel to team and attends legal conferences/ working groups etc relevant to product area;
- responsible for all subscribers queries relevant to their product(s); and
- responds to subscriber queries relevant to share disclosure or corporate finance services or allocates responsibility to junior team members/ fee earners;
- Builds relationship with key subscribers including instigating and running subscriber working groups;
- Where appropriate, involved in the continuation of subscriber queries as fee earning matters;
- Considers whether the navigator materials need to be updated off the back of the subscriber query and makes relevant amendments;
- Identifies and assesses the impact of legislative changes that affect the services and with assistance of Team Manager/Legal Content Manager develops strategy for key European developments and implements the project plan with assistance from junior team members;
- Runs with updates to materials and communications with subscribers about key changes impacting their services;
- Where instructed, leads teams and/or works on new content relevant to product area/expanding into related areas; and
- Takes responsibility for building relationships with navigator counsel and deals with/escalates any relationship issues that might arise.
Marketing and subscriber support
- Responsible for the execution/implementation of the marketing plan for relevant services(s) including:
- meeting with the Team Manager and Legal Content Manager on a monthly basis to discuss marketing plan and determine upcoming strategy;
- responsible for allocation of demos/training for relevant services and attends all strategic demonstrations for services;
- giving regular internal team training on services and changes relevant to service coverage; and
- responsible for maintaining and updating the navigator marketing materials for their service.
- Assists with subscriber onboarding and/or user surveys where relevant;
- Plans product training/ events for subscribers/or contributing counsel;
- Instigates and runs with subscriber working group for services; and
- Delivers assigned aspects of “value added” plan.
- Monthly review of financial data for services;
- Where appropriate, inputs into business planning where impacts on service area;
- Day to day supervision of junior team members;
- Prepares plan for delivering projects and discussions with senior team to obtain sign off on plans prior to executing;
- Assists Team Manager and Legal Content Manager with business plans and strategic operational plans for relevant services where appropriate and provides input to quarterly reviews to measure; and
- Where appropriate, assists Team Manager and Legal Content Manager with the rollout of IT developments or strategic partnerships and/or investigating and implementing new modes of data delivery.
- Excellent academics;
- Minimum of seven years’ post qualification financial services regulatory or corporate experience (which will have been gained at another top financial services/corporate practice);
- Experience in large cross-border legal/regulatory projects;
- Previous project management experience;
- Driven and proactive approach to work and open to innovation and new methods of delivery legal services;
- Ability to work build and maintain constructive relationships and networks with a variety of different individuals at different levels of seniority;
- Ability to influence and persuade at all levels, confidently and in an articulate manner;
- Ability to work collaboratively with others to provide a quality service to both internal and external clients;
- Creative approach to problems and an openness to new ideas;
- Able to effectively manage a diverse and inclusive team, and support the career development of individuals;
- Flexibility and a willingness to work additional hours on occasion as required.